Thursday, June 15, 2006

Oklahoma’s Most Tenacious State Senator Sets Sights On Labor

Oklahoma’s most tenacious State Senator today declared his candidacy for state Labor Commissioner, vowing to bring a “new level of integrity and change” to the office.

Henryetta Democrat Sen. Frank Shurden said his decision to seek the state’s top labor post is based upon his desire to ensure the safety and well being of Oklahomans and their families.

“I believe in serving the people. I believe in fighting for justice,” the plainspoken Shurden said. “I believe that what is good for Oklahoma’s workers and their families is good for the stores that dot our main streets. I believe what is good for those businesses is good for the working folks of Oklahoma.”

During his legislative tenure, the Eastern Oklahoma rancher has consistently battled to protect Oklahomans, expand health care, improve economic development opportunities, increase funding for schools, and to ensure individual rights are safeguarded.

He was the main author of legislation creating the state’s REAP program which helps fund vital projects in Oklahoma’s rural communities. He also was co-author of the state’s Quality Jobs Act which has created thousands of jobs across Oklahoma.

Shurden is the author of Oklahoma’s “Concealed Carry” handgun law. He’s fought to protect the rights of sportsman, and he’s frequently clashed with liberal groups over his conservative values.

He’s best known for his legislative efforts to castrate convicted sex offenders and for defending the rights of Oklahomans involved in cockfighting.

Shurden has never run for statewide office before.

“My record is one of being straightforward and honest, and I am known for my steadfast determination to do what is right. I have always done what my constituents have asked of me,” he said.

“I’m on the job every day and I give an honest day’s work for an honest day’s pay.
“As the next Oklahoma Labor Commissioner, I will do the same thing. I will bring a stronger level of integrity to this job.

“I will work tirelessly to make the Labor Commission more effective and responsive to everyone – and I will seek to remove political patronage and bias from agency operations.”

Shurden is certainly no stranger to hard work. He’s missed only three days of service as a legislator in 28 years while working his ranch. He grew up working in his father’s small business and he held a variety of jobs while working his way through college where he was an All-Conference defensive lineman.

“I know what it means to sweat and to put in back-breaking labor all day long, day after day. I grew up doing it. I’m still doing it,” Shurden said. “I also know what it means to worry about how you’re going to take care of your family and where the money’s coming from to pay the mortgage and to put food on the table.”

Shurden also has seen what can happen when the labor department fails to do its job and doesn’t have the ability to correctly do the tasks required of it by law.

Following a terrible boiler explosion at Star Spencer Elementary School in Oklahoma City several years ago, Shurden helped passed legislation that strengthened the Labor Department’s boiler inspection program. The legislation was designed to provide for more hard-hitting inspections, thereby decreasing the likelihood that children could be injured or killed in boiler accidents.

Shurden also authored legislation that gave the labor department the power to inspect carnival rides to make sure they are safe and pose no danger to children. He wrote that law after a carnival ride accident in his hometown.

Shurden, who holds a degree in business management, and his wife Kathryn have seven children and 11 grandchildren.

“It’s time for a change in the way things are done at the Labor Department. It’s time we had a new labor commissioner,” Shurden said. “What I can say to the people of Oklahoma is this – vote for me and I’ll do the job right.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home